Monday 11 June 2018

Testing the Bonito NTL MegaDipol MD300DX active antenna: Radio Guinée 96...

Hi there, Dennis at Bonito supplied me with a KiwiSDR networked receiver which now installed at my QTH allows his technical team to check the performance as I experiment with the configuration of the radiating elements, orientation etc. Here is a pretty decent signal from Radio Guinée and having checked back through all my recordings of this station, this is actually the first time I've recorded their signal from home. Radio Guinée is a station that can be quite easily copied away from home on a decent portable, even with a telescopic antenna - as demonstrated by my recent copy with the brilliant XHDATA D-808. Their TX power is reasonable at 50 kW, however, modulation is definitely lower than it should be, thus at home, with a higher noise floor, recovered audio is usually obliterated. Here, therefore, is my first copy from home with decent recovered audio. Saying that, the KiwiSDR is not the strongest receiver in terms of audio quality through my Macbook Pro, however, the intrinsic noise-floor is superb at around -140 dB. As for the MegaDipol itself, after some experimentation, I now have the antenna arranged such that excellent catches on HF are possible, along with transatlantic MW DX. With an even higher Gain than my Wellbrook, on a DXpedition, somewhere quiet, this antenna should outperform it by some margin.

Recorded on 10/06/18 at
22:57 hrs UTC using a KiwiSDR networked receiver & GI300 galvanic isolator, physically located at my QTH in Oxford UK. Thanks for watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment