Friday 8 September 2017

Reach Beyond Australia 15320 & 15340 kHz on the Icom IC-R75 and Yaesu FR...

Hi there, I was only thinking quite recently that I hadn't copied Reach Beyond Australia for some time now. Looking back at my uploads I found that the last time was actually May when I was in Crete and prior to that, March in the UK. So it was nice to copy them again in the middle of the afternoon with the IC-R75. This receiver was recommended to me by a certain Mr Thomas Brogan (who is doing ok for those of you that know him) and others.

As you probably know (and demonstrated on this video) the audio on the Icom is very shrill in comparison to the FRG-8800 for example, but that could be an advantage for hard-core DXing. What's not so good are the filters - extremely narrow and very wide. As my friend and radio colleague Phil Henzler quite rightly pointed out earlier, SSB is probably the most useful mode for DXing with the stock filters. Nevertheless, I got this radio at a very fair price - dare I even say a very good price and it's actually the first relatively modern table-top receiver I've ever owned. Very much looking forward to putting it through it's paces lol.

Recorded in Oxford UK on 03/09/17 at
14:32 hrs UTC using a Wellbrook ALA1530 (in the garden shed!). Thanks for watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment