Thursday 23 February 2017

A portable SDR solution and my brief initial thoughts on SDR#


Hi there, as some of you will be aware, I've taken the Elad FDM DUO out on DXpeditions previously and it's worked great. Either as a standalone unit via the Bose Soundlink Mini 2, or as a full SDR with a laptop, it performed really well, particularly with the 200 metre Beverage antenna. On the downside, using the Elad on Dxpeditions involves packing a lot of kit and of course a power source, which right now is a 12V lead acid battery.

More recently my Dxpeditions have taken place late afternoon, early evening, on an ad hoc basis, with the PL-3120ET and most recently the Eton Satellit. I've often thought how useful it would be to be able to actually view a spectrum of the BC band I'm in and so I dug out my NooElec RTL-SDR and loaded SDR# onto my smallest laptop. The combination works great, even during testing in my noisy office. Here are my thoughts on the software and hardware. Thanks for watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment