Saturday 11 February 2017

Sangean ATS-803A slowly corroding away, needs another repair: #1





Hi there, some of you might remember that I confessed to dumping my
ATS-803A in the garden shed about 20 years ago and forgetting about it
until I got back into SWLing 18 months ago. Having rescued it I
discovered the battery compartment terminals had suffered major
corrosion - two terminals had corroded away completely. Furthermore, the
radio wouldn't power up via the mains socket. I managed to repair it at
the time by soldering two fly leads to the power board and route them
into the battery compartment. Further innovations followed with kitchen
foil, sellotape and glue lol resulting in a working receiver once more.
However, this 'bodge' meant that changing batteries was a rather
laborious affair, taking about half an hour every time! Having decided
recently to run a series of tests with the Sangean, against the radio it
was trying to emulate at the time - the venerable Sony ICF-2001D, I
discovered it was dead again. So, I set aside an evening this week to
take it apart again and try to effect a more permanent repair. Two more
videos on this to come - thanks for watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment