Tuesday 7 August 2018

The revolutionary Sony ICF-2001...still working after nearly 40 years......

Hi there, this is where it all started with PLL/direct frequency access/scanning portable shortwave radios. Back in 1980 it was revolutionary. Even John Lennon had one to keep in touch with BBC news etc. from New York. I remember seeing one in a shop window in Oxford when I was just a little kid. I was with my Dad and didn't even bother asking him if I could have one....it was the equivalent of about £825 in todays money! On the downside, selectivity is very average to poor and it eats batteries very quickly indeed. However, when one came up on eBay for 50 quid, I could say no - even just for the nostalga of finally owning one. Anyway, here's an ok signal from North Korea in my back garden with about 8 metres of wire attached.

Recorded in Oxford UK on 04/08/18 at
19:53 hrs UTC. Thanks for watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment