Wednesday 11 April 2018

The Shipping Forecast and world news on the original Sony portable: the ...

Hi there, he's a trip down memory lane for me - to the first time I ever saw a Sony ICF-2001 in a shop window in Oxford. I was amazed at the design - it looked like it came from the future - I'd never seen anything like it. The first ever portable radio to offer direct frequency input. Fast forward 30-odd years and here it is on the coffee table in my living room. About 50 quid from eBay a few months ago now, but it feels good to own one of these. It's not perfect; the frequency display is slightly off, the volume slider was very noisy (now fixed), audio fidelity is pretty good, but it's super-sensitive to local QRM. Using this radio indoors is quite tricky, requiring perfect alignment against all local noise sources to mitigate their effect. I'm interested to see how it performs as a hard-core DX machine, out in the woods. I believe it will perform well but not as well as the legendary 2001D of course. Having said that, I want it to be really good!! They say never meet your idols and that is sometimes also true of buying radios you've always wanted to own. It avoids any let down after decades of wondering lol.

Thanks for watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment