Tuesday 28 March 2017

Icom IC-R20...is it any good as a shortwave receiver? Voice of Korea 116...

Hi there, I bought the IC-R20 off eBay a few months ago now for a pretty decent price. I'd been in the market for a wideband scanner for a while, with a view to spending a bit of time on the VHF bands etc., but of course I also wanted to explore the performance on shortwave. This video was taken before my trip to Brazil and once again I'm using the 240 metre long barbed wire fence as an antenna. Now I'm quite confident that the Icom is prone to overloading from large antennas, but this reception from North Korea was excellent. Another early observation is that the audio bandwidth filter is very wide indeed (12 kHz) which is certainly going to make it a challenge in crowded bands. Sensitivity seems pretty good with a large antenna, but more on that with further reception videos to come. Recorded in Oxford UK on 25/02/17 at 17:21 hrs UTC. Thanks for watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment