Wednesday 4 January 2017

Sony ICF-SW77: Zambia NBC Radio 1, 5915 kHz, Lusaka, best ever reception

Hi there, I was in the middle of a multiple radio test involving this receiver, when I copied this really nice signal from Zambia. Easily the best reception I've ever obtained and even nicer to do so with the vintage, but brilliant ICF-SW77. You might remember that it was the runner up in the head-to-head test with it's older 'brother' the ICF-2001D, but nevertheless, still a very capable receiver indeed.....and this reception clearly demonstrates that. Recorded in Oxford UK on 19/12/16 at 18:33 hrs UTC using a 75 metre longwire. Thanks for watching.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent reception. Very clear audio. 73!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I could learn from your videos with the Mighty SW77, the audio is more tamed than the ICF-2001D/2010. I think it is because the SW77 uses narrower band. Some people have kiwa filters installed on their 2001D/2010 to have the same effect. There is where small radios like the PL-310ET, PL-380, PL-505 have the advantage, for you can gradually narrow the band from 6 to 1 Khz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julio, thank you for your comments! I have just started my own blog, so I can keep all of my online posts from Youtube, SWLing Post, Twitter etc. in one place. You are right about the ICF-SW77, it has a very narrow 'narrow' filter which results in 'muddy' audio sometimes. 73!

    ReplyDelete